Aussies have some of the best and the most creative ways to stay cool in the scorching heat. And now, thanks to technological advancements, there are more ways to keep cool indoors. Let’s have a look back at some of the simplest and most clever ways to beat the heat.
- Swimming pools – and they don’t have to be anything fancy – those inflatable kiddie pools do the trick just as well. With just a little bit of water and some ice, both kids and the kids at heart can stay cool. It doubles as a drinks cooler too, perfect for lazy afternoons in the garden, or for hosting barbies in the backyard.
- Cold showers – the next best thing to swimming pools – taking a cold shower on a hot day can help drop a person’s temperature and wash away sticky, smelly sweat too.
- Sprinklers – children love running under the sprinklers in the backyard, and adults probably remember doing it themselves too when they were little. This summer, relive childhood memories by keeping cool with this tried and tested trick.
- Cooling fans (enhanced by wet tea towels) – no air con installed at home yet? No problem! A draped wet towel on a cooling fan has the same effect. The down side? It consumes a lot of energy, making it a better idea to have an air conditioning unit installed instead.
- Air conditioning units – air conditioning units come in various sizes and capacities. It has been in existence for quite some years now and it has now become accessible to homeowners. It feels great to walk into a nicely-cooled, air conditioned house, making this appliance a true must-have.